Sunday, January 13, 2013

Insights, blogs, books, and more.



I thought I share some blogs and reading that spoke to my heart recently. Feel free to share yours too. I will share from time to time, can't promise it will be weekly or even monthly, but my hope is by sharing what I read from time to time, that it might bless someone else too, that may not have come across it.

The book I have been reading and her blog:

The “Do What You Can” Plan: 21 Days to Making Any Area of Your Life Better    http://holleygerth.com/category/god-sized-dreams/ 

Here are some notes I took from the book:
Proverbs 16:9 Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.
Pursing a goal gets us moving but it's still God who determines our ultimate destination, as the verse above says. It's hard to redirect someone who is standing still. So use goals to give you motivation as well as direction, then let God guide you as you go.

Description of Proverbs 31 woman is that we are to be faithful in the small, immediate, everyday things before us. Do it with consistency and excellence (one of verses of scripture I am studying this year).
God comes alongside of us when we are obedient. Obedience is about doing, not just believing.

Ecc. 11:4 Whoever watches the wind will not plant, whoever looks at the clouds will not reap.
Even in the most enjoyable experiences of our lives, there is always a bit of discomfort.
Life is never normal. Timing is never perfect. Conditions are never really right. If you know this is something God wants you to do, move forward anyway.

Make fear work for you, but don't remain in a state of it.
Isaiah 41:10 Do not fear, for I am with you, do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strength you and help you I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Combine faith with works.
2 Chr 31:21 He sought his God and worked wholeheartedly. And so he prospered.
God speaks through your heart. Heart is source of passion.
Neh 4:6 For the people worked with all their heart.
Question: What is your heart motivation for making this change in your life?

Proverbs 19:21 Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.
Mistakes are different from sin. A mistake is a result of being human, an imperfection that reminds us we are not God, a place in our lives where God's power can be "made perfect in weakness"~2 Cor 12:9 Sin is outright rebellion, a deliberate defiance. When it comes to sin, God has strong words to say. (ahhh grace right here, thank you Lord!) When it comes to being human and making mistakes or having areas where we are weak, He reassures us that He can make up the difference.

God values growth and connection over perfection.

The journey you and God take will be unique to you. God's purposes will prevail in your life. And with Him, you will prevail too.

Neh. 8:9-10
Don't be sad! Go home and have a party, eat, drink, and celebrate. The joy of the Lord is your strength. (so celebrate those goals you make, celebrate the little successes!)

Joy is what gives us strength, victory, and lasting change


God never wants us to get complacent. He doesn't want us to find our comfort zone (oh and I can attest to that!). There's too much out there for us to experience and enjoy with Him. You will never get to the place where God stops calling you closer to Him. Also, don't forget to take time for rest and recovery, Jesus did. 

We are imperfect people in a fallen world. There will never be a time in our lives when things are just as we want them. What's before us is always a mixture of good and bad, hard and easy, happy and sad. If we wait for that to change, then we will wait for the rest of our lives.The most effective people in the kingdom aren't those who never mess up or fall down (and we know that by God's word) They're the ones who most consistently get back up. That pursuit happens not in the big moments of life but in little decisions, daily choices, and small acts of obedience. 
God will make sure that the good work He began in you is carried on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus~see Phil. 1:6     


So what are the God sized dreams He has placed on your heart? And are you doing them? To be honest, I have known for sometime what God has placed on my heart and at times I listen and follow through and other times I struggle and don't trust. Well that folks is going to end, I am putting my God sized dreams in motion, now I have to remember I may get discouraged and may at times feel like giving up, but at those time's I need to remember to rely fully on God and ask people for prayer and help. I love to know what your God sized dreams are so that we can pray and encourage one another.

On the books on my list to read (yes I have list, I need to put them in order, make a plan):

Desperate~Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe (by Sally Clarkson (one of my fav authors and Sarah Mae) and a blog from one of the authors http://gracefullmama.com/do-you-wish-you-had-a-pause-button-on-your-life/  (this is one I like to study with a group of mama's)

My favorite blog posts I read this week:
Do you wish you had a pause button? Well I know I do at times!
http://gracefullmama.com/do-you-wish-you-had-a-pause-button-on-your-life/


Being a good wife is a lot like being a good cook. http://sharonglasgow.com/2013/01/the-good-wife-recipe/

For future use for my kiddos: http://joyfilleddays.com/%20/shouldkidsusefacebook/
 

Love this~Happiness trumps perfection every single time – if you just let go long enough to let it.  http://www.handsfreemama.com/2013/01/02/a-year-of-ordinary-achievement/
 

I love to journal, one way God speaks to me. If you like to journal or need encouragement here is a wonderful mothers journal printable  http://www.momsmustardseeds.com/2012/05/mothers-day-free-prayer-journa/

I recently read an article in Proverbs 31 magazine~Contentment Where God Plants You and it spoke to me.
I sometimes struggle about why we live in Kentucky, as it looks like the place we will be staying, putting roots down, after becoming use to moving around so much in last 8 years, but I know God put me and my family here for a reason. I just love what the author Christina Fox said  "If I allow my roots to grow deep here (honestly I haven't been), I may find that true joy waits in the wilderness and not in the perfectly planned and neatly-landscaped life I've long desired (for me the perfect timing). It's only when my heart is emptied, places are filled with Him alone that I can joyfully thrive where He's planted me. The more I live for Him and not myself, the more effective I can be in this place."  


On my blog on the right side is a list of my favorite sites. You will notice a theme, most are blogs/web-sites about parenting, moms, marriage and yoga, which are my passions. Passions I believe God has placed on my heart. My God sized dreams are to encourage mom's from my experiences, books I have read, the Bible, and teaching yoga!



2 comments:

  1. So much good stuff here! "Desperate" is on my list to read too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) We may have to read that one together!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and reading, I hope you found some encouragement! Please feel free to leave a comment, I always love to hear from my readers.