Monday, March 11, 2013

What can I do?



One of my prayers I started at the beginning of the New Year was to listen to God more and give me ears to hear Him and eyes to see His perspective. Something has been wrestling my heart that should be doing more to bring glory to God in things I do, but sometimes I think am I doing enough? I am a mom to two little one's, a wife to a railroader (which has challenges), and I have a heart to reach out and encourage other mom's through being apart of MOPS and Bible study.

Earlier this year I switched Sunday school classes, there were many reasons I had in my mind, but I now see it was God's plan for me. Isn't it always! :) One thing our leader asks, what has God done in your life and how we bless others. Hearing the stories being shared is inspiring. One person bought someone's drive through meal one day and later that day found that exact cost in another jacket. Someone bought a cup of coffee for a stranger and again found that exact change later, so you see it God provding. That is exactly what it says in the Bible and sometimes I have a hard time trusting. Philippians 4:1And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
Recently I started reading Interrupted by Jen Hatmaker, it is a book I have been wanting to read, because I enjoy reading her blog and will be seeing her in the live next month. The book is not what I thought it was going to be, but it is what God wanted me to read. Anyhow, her husband in the book shares a similar story of ministry to a homeless man. He added up how much it cost him to serve this stranger and it totaled $195. There he was driving back to his office so concerned about how much money he had spent. There on his desk was a reimbursement he had forgotten about in the total of $195. What he learned and felt God saying to him was "the provision was not from you; it was from Me. What you have is not yours. You have a lot to learn. The first is this: You can trust Me when I call."
There again, I am asking myself what more should I be doing God? I know I can be self-fish, and lately I have been teaching my children how not to be, but maybe I need more teaching myself. As I read more in this book, my heart is wresting more and more and I am only half-way through this book. Here are two pages from the book that have really spoke to me. Maybe you too will feel what I am feeling after reading these two pages. (click on to enlarge)


Here is one statistic in the photo. If you make $35,000 annually you are in the top 4%, $50,000 top 1%. There are some very sobering statics in this list. So maybe you are like me, what can I do and will it make a difference? YES, read the second page! Made me think of quote by Mother Teresa “Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love." 

7 comments:

  1. love it! my best friend just read interrupted and is also being stirred and disturbed to DO SOMETHING. keep searching and thinking about this. she is in a small group and is thinking about meeting three weeks to study something and then serving every fourth week as a group. excited for what God is going to do for you - which will obviously impact the future of your kids faith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I love what your best friend is doing in her small group, this maybe something I can do together with mom ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is beautiful. thank you so much for sharing. i really want to read Interrupted-- but I am also kind of scared that it will rock my world. i love hearing about how you're living out your faith- and i know that's going to make a big impact on your kids and their faith! thanks for linking up with us today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to add this book to my reading list. I know it means I will have to step out of my comfort zone but I can't get over some of the things I've been convicted about and how close to home your post hit. Thank you so much for sharing and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Next on my list will be Seven. Definitely takes you out of your comfort zone and makes you realized how really, really blessed we are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Jen Hatmaker. I need to read this book. It's so true - most of us are so blessed. And everything we have is from God.
    Thanks for linking up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to see Jen H in the LIVE!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and reading, I hope you found some encouragement! Please feel free to leave a comment, I always love to hear from my readers.