Monday, October 14, 2013

Last week of the Living and Active Challenge~Whoohoo!!

This challenge was not too difficult for me to complete, as I do have a fairly good fitness regimen. Though there are days I just like to throw in the towel! The Living and Active Challenge helped me to mix it up more, made scripture apart of the challenge and increased my water intake. Which I also need to thank my accountability partner for, she was great at checking in and encouraging!!

Here is the final week's challenge: http://peak313.com/featured/2nd-living-and-active-wk-5-marathon-minded-checkpoint-4/

Verse of the week:

I also looked up The Message version of this scripture: May God himself, the God who makes everything holy and whole, make you holy and whole, put you together—spirit, soul, and body—and keep you fit for the coming of our Master, Jesus Christ. The One who called you is completely dependable. If he said it, he’ll do it!

I thought this week I share some of my favorite workouts and what I enjoy doing, well I really don't enjoy fitness, but I do it for my health and my family. I need to stay young to keep up with them, since I have young little one's and I turn 40 in less then 6 months, yikes!

Honestly though I do enjoy going for walks and hiking with the family, to me that doesn't feel like workout but it is. For strength and to challenge my body I do either Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred or Bob Harper's Pure Burn Super Strength DVD about 5 days a week. On days when I only have a few minutes or just don't feel like doing a video, I do a short circuit from something I put together or from Peak 313, as she has some great videos and workout tips to help you put together something. What I like about the video's I do, is that they are short about 20-30 minutes and you get a good endurance and strength workout. Every morning when I wake up I do about 20 minute yoga practice while praying. I have been doing yoga for almost 15 years and I like it, now it isn't something that I can do to keep me totally fit, but it helps me with stress and flexibility, which helps me in my everyday life. Yoga also has helped me during my pregnancies, as it was something I could always do, as it is something anybody can do. I prefer a more gentler slower yoga practice, so that is why for me it doesn't provide the cardiovascular part that I need that I get from other workouts. On Mondays and Wednesdays when I teach yoga I use the treadmill at the gym to run/walk. I also have an elliptical at home that I use a couple times a week. The one thing I always tell people is it is more about what you eat then what you do for fitness, because if you are not eating well your workouts are not going to benefit you much. For me I follow the 80/20 rule in dieting. Eat good majority time 80% and have a few cheats 20%. It is important to know your portion sizes too.

Find something you enjoy doing for fitness, I know my accountability partner really dislikes video's so she found through home-schooling a family fitness curriculum that she likes to do. I think it is great to get the family involved and set a good example. My kiddos sometimes join me in when I do video's and sometimes I will put a yoga dvd in and we all do it. I am not big on yoga dvd's as I haven't found too many I like, but I do like Rodney Yee's Family Yoga http://www.amazon.com/Rodney-Yee-Yoga-Journals-Family/dp/B00068S3OQ this is a wonderful yoga practice for the whole family to do. My kids like the Yogakids ABC video, it is a fun practice which incorporates the letters of the alphabet. So you see, you can find ways to incorporate working out at home if you don't like going to the gym or can't find time. If you feel like you still can't do it, there is some great Bible verses and to help encourage you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading, I hope you found some encouragement! Please feel free to leave a comment, I always love to hear from my readers.