Sunday, March 2, 2014

No More Perfect Kids

So blessed to be apart of the team for No More Perfect Kids, by Jill Savage. This is the third book of hers I have read and second book review. The first book review I was apart of for Jill was No More Perfect Moms and that book spoke so much to the season I was and am still going through. I am actually going through the book a second time with our moms group. So when I saw the opportunity to be apart of another launch team for one of her books I signed up right away. The first one was a blessing in many ways, because not only did I get to partake in reviewing a great book, I also made friends with another blogger who only lives 20 miles from me. Check out Kristin's blog at: http://www.kristinhilltaylor.com/

It didn't take me long to read through No More Perfect Kids, because there is so much goodness in it. It was hard to put down. This book is written by Jill Savage and Dr. Kathy Koch. Another great thing about this book is that it's the first Hearts At Home book designed for both moms and dads.

I learned a lot about expectations and perfectionism from No More Perfect Moms and this book continues talking about it with our kids.
"When parents untangle themselves from their expectations, they free their children to be their best. All children deserve to be celebrated for who they are. When we can identify the unique design of each of our children, resisting the urge to compare them to ourselves, their siblings, or other children. We set them free to be all they are created to be. Allowing our children to be their true selves is one of the best gifts we can give them. All children deserve to be celebrated for who they are."

"Parenting is about being intentional!" Yes it is, you can't just sit by and watch them, we must be involved in their lives.

There is so much I could write about but I am going to touch on a few points that really spoke to me:

"What if our children had a come to momma belief system?" (Just like when they were learning their first steps.)
"I can accomplish what my parents are asking me to do. Attempts aren't failure, they are part of life. I can pick myself up to try again. Perfect may never be reached or even necessary because I know my parents will celebrate my progress." So that really spoke to me, because for myself I hate failing at something, if I am going to do something I want it to be great, to succeed. So you see not only is this book used to help in parenting, it helped to see something in myself.

"Contentment and perfectionism can't exist together, contentment says we're satisfied. Perfectionism says we never are." Content people are comfortable in their own skin, don't compare themselves to others, value peace, appreciate joy and thankfulness and want same for their children. Contentment doesn't mean you settle for less, instead opposite. You strive to learn or do something new, as your not afraid, worry or think about those what ifs. It has taken me years to feel comfortable in my own skin but I know what she is talking about, when we are content with life it is so much more peaceful!

Quote in the book by Max Lucado about celebrating who your children really are ~ "Study your kids while you can. The greatest gifts you can give your children is not your riches, but revealing to them their own."

~Parenting is most important thing you will ever do
~Our kids need us to find our value and self-worth from our relationship with God and share it with our children.

"God created us in His image and with purpose, the closer we are to Him, the more likely we are to understand who we are."
"It's not at all about being perfect but it is about being perfected by the God who has a plan for our lives."
Those two lines in the book are so true and we need our children to learn that too!

I know when I was a kid and even in my 20s I struggled with knowing what my purpose was. A great list in the book, What's My Purpose:
1. To praise God ~ God loves and has created us each uniquely. This is so important to know, this would help against teasing and bullying that goes on.
2. To do good works (Ephesians 2:10) ~ Use the gifts/talents God gave each of us to glorify Him. Focus on our gifts, not others. To know our weakness, so we can rely on God.
3. To be God's PR agent ~ Bring positive attention and represent Jesus!! Yes!! Accept what God gives us and rejoice in it, this will glorify God.
4. To leave the world a better place ~ We are each created on purpose with a purpose, we need to live that out! Good way to do that is introduce our children to serving others. This will help them and give opportunity to impact the world. Kids need to know they can make a difference!

"Pointing them to the good allows you to get into the habit of saying the opposite of the negative."

Each chapter has an apply the antidote, which are suggestions of how to fix/change a problem. Along with real-life stories from real parents sharing their parenting journey. At the end of the book is a plus section with additional helpful information and resources:
~Feeling words, to be used when you have hard relating to what you are feeling
~Age-appropriate tasks
~How to pray for your child
~Character qualities
~Scriptural blessings
~Recommend children's book to read with your children
Plus a Leader's Guide so you can do this book at a small group study.

In addition you will want to go check out www.nomoreperfect.com It is online community where you will find encouragement, connection with others moms, and additional resources. A place to let go of imperfect and embrace authentic!
Here are two great reasons why you will want to check out the web-site:
1) They will be releasing a 13 Day No More Perfect Kids email challenge
2) There will be a weekly blog you can subscribe to to keep the Perfection Infection at bay.

This book is available at many retail locations and on-line. Amazon is where I love to order books, No More Perfect Kids

If your order your book during the release week of March 13-23, 2014 you will receive over $100 in FREE bonus resources, all you have to do is order during the release week and submit your receipt.
List of FREE resources you will receive:
Audio Workshops:
Sue Heimer - When You Feel Like Screaming,
Shaunti Feldhan - Getting Inside the Head of Your Kid
Marianne Miller - Raising Grateful Kids 2012, and Kathy Lipp - Real Ways to Connect with Your Kids

Ebooks:
A Perfect Pet for Peyton by Gary Chapman,
How Am I Smart by Kathy Koch and
The 10 Commandments of Parenting by Dr. Ed Young

Plus some printables!


   *"I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR,Part 255. "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading, I hope you found some encouragement! Please feel free to leave a comment, I always love to hear from my readers.