Friday, July 4, 2014

RAGAMUFFIN Review


"In the end it won't matter if you have a few scars, but it will matter if you didn't live."—Rich Mullins
 
I had the opportunity to watch and review Ragamuffin, Based On The Life Of Rich Mullins. At first I didn't know what to think of this movie after reading up on him before, but oh I was in for a surprise, the movie was deep, touching, inspiring, and full of what real Christianity is about. If you don't know who Rich Mullins is, you probably have heard his music, he was a very talented singer-song writer. He was a lover of Jesus, though he struggled with his faith, alcoholism, feeling loved and trusting others, and fame, but none of that matter to him. Definitely a misfit, which parts of me relate to, he didn't hide his imperfections, he lived them.

The movie jumped around a little bit, but in the end the story and message was refreshing. I love people that are not afraid to hide imperfections and live on the edge, I would love to be more like that but fears hold me back. Nothing held Rich back from doing what he was called to do. During his life he met Brennan Manning, who then mentored him and got him over not feeling the love of his own father. The letter he wrote had me in tears. Rich died at a young age, but he lived a full life! This will be a movie I watch again and now I am going to go need the book wrote by Brennan Manning ~ The Ragamuffin Gospel

The year that he died, Mullins declared,


"A lot of the stuff which I thought was so different between Protestants and Catholics [was] not, but at the end of going through an RCIA [Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults] course, I also realized that there are some real and significant differences. I'm not sure which side of the issues I come down on. My openness to Catholicism was very scary to me because, when you grow up in a church where they don't even put up a cross, many things were foreign to me. I went to an older Protestant gentleman that I've respected for years and years, and I asked him, "When does faithfulness to Jesus call us to lay aside our biases and when does it call us to stand beside them?" His answer to me was that it is not about being Catholic or Protestant. It is about being faithful to Jesus. The issue is not about which church you go to, it is about following Jesus where He leads you"


To find out more about this must watch movie, check out the links below and watch a trailer of the movie. I also have a free DVD of this movie to give away to one reader. All you need to do is comment by July 8, 2014 and let me know why you want to watch this movie. 

RAGAMUFFIN: Based On The Life of Rich Mullins

About:
RAGAMUFFIN is based on the life of Rich Mullins, a musical prodigy who rose to Christian music fame and fortune only to walk away and live on a Navajo reservation.
An artistic genius, raised on a tree farm in Indiana by a callous father, Rich wrestled all of his life with the brokenness and crippling insecurity born of his childhood. A lover of Jesus and a rebel in the church, Rich refused to let his struggles with his own darkness tear him away from a God he was determined to love. As he struggled with success in Nashville and depression in Wichita, Rich desired most of all to live a life of honest and reckless faith amidst a culture of religion and conformity.
“This film reminded me that what really made Rich special was how undistracted he was with the things of this world.” —Michael W. Smith (singer/songwriter

Rating: PG-13 (for thematic elements and smoking)

Official website: http://ragamuffinthemovie.com 
Find the trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYXTnIKD-0kP67cvzjmS3ow

 *"I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believer will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR,Part 255. "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

1 comment:

  1. This is the 2nd review I've read on this movie today. The first one was by a friend who grew up a little earlier than us. Both reviews were good just different, the differences really sparked my interest in the movie! Now I really have to see it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and reading, I hope you found some encouragement! Please feel free to leave a comment, I always love to hear from my readers.