Saturday, February 21, 2015

Lent?




This last week I have been thinking, praying and reading about Lent and what it actually is and is not. I remember as a child participating in Ash Wednesday and learning about Lent, but anything more than that I do not recall. I attended church during school time; yes back in my time public schools allowed God in the schools and bussed kids on Wednesday mornings to their family’s churches to take CCD classes. Not sure if it was like that everywhere, but it was where I grew up in Minnesota. My family is divided, Catholic and Lutheran, so I have a somewhat mix mosh background and then when I moved away from Minnesota in my 30s I ended up going to a Methodist church in Texas. Now I attend a Baptist church, talk about a background in different denominations, right! Really it all comes down to one thing, accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior! (John 14:6) 

Anyhow back then I do remember being embarrassed about the whole ash wearing on my forehead, oh how I regret that now, as I would gladly wear those now because of the meaning. However, Baptist’s don’t partake in Ash Wednesday or Lent, and I understand exactly why, there is no biblical reason to. However, part of me loves the tradition of it and the meaning. Sometimes traditions are good, when done for the right reasons. I do not believe that God would care, because this time is meant for getting deeper with HIM. Much like Jesus did when HE fasted for 40 days in the wilderness (Matthew 4:2). So I may not have participated in Ash Wednesday and even though it is a few days past the start of Lent, it is never too late to partake in getting deeper with God. So do you partake in Lent? You don’t need to partake in Lent to do this, but for me what better time and since I really don’t do New Year’s Resolutions. I am studying a Lenten devotional and in addition will be taking more time to study the Word and let go of things that can cause distractions for me, and instead use that time to devote to God.

This is part of owing my life! Knowing the ONE who created me, to have a relationship with HIM, so I will hear HIM at all times, and to live the life HE desires me to live.

During my study time I came across this verse, which speaks to me, Jeremiah 9:23-24
Thus says the Lord. “Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts, boast of this, that he understand and knows ME, that I am the LORD who exercises loving kindness, justice, and righteousness on earth, for I delight in these things.” declares the LORD.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading, I hope you found some encouragement! Please feel free to leave a comment, I always love to hear from my readers.