Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Simply Tuesday~Small-Moment Living in a Fast-Moving World


Being a book nerd I read lots of books and enjoy doing reviews. I have really enjoyed some of the books I have read recently. Today I have another one to share with you. Do you feel as though some days the world feels like it is spinning out of control and that everyone is obsessed with busyness and bigness! I have days like that and those are the days I do not enjoy! This book, Simply Tuesday by Emily Freeman has brought refreshment to my soul! This book invites you to slow down, embrace the everyday, small and ordinary of your day and enjoy it along with the presence of Christ in it. You will be called to appreciate the simple things in life, the mundane things that sometimes seem like nothing is happening. However it is during those moments that the kingdom of God can be found!

The author shared that she really does believe that the presence of Christ makes a difference in everyday life, but that she sometimes forget, and you know I do too sometimes. The author shared about her experience when she started meeting with a mentor and the words she shared the words that she spoke to her that resonated with her..."Celebrate your smallness." I so love that, and that is what we should all do! God would want us to!

She shared that she believes the small moments are the very portal into experiencing the kingdom of God! "If we miss them, we miss everything. We run right by the kingdom's door, and no matter where we go, we have missed the door that leads us home." Good words!

I loved what she wrote here..."I've thought of this often in many areas of life when I try to make things too complicated (yep I too can be guilty of this). When I feel myself getting carried away, when I feel tempted to turn and build a city rather than accept my right-now home, I ask this simple question: Where is the bench in this moment?" The benches she is talking about is a place to be, a place to rest, a place to come together on an ordinary day. "We're headed down the new way of Christ, and all roads away from the city lead to the kingdom of God. The road to the kingdom is lined with invisible benches where the great work of love, service, listening, community, prayer, change, and transformation will occur."

That is where to being to look for the kingdom of God...the small is my new free! "It isn't that I don't believe the small things are important, it's more that I forget to care about how important they are." "What gives moments meaning is not the moments themselves but the presence of Christ with us in the midst of them."

"Jesus doesn't say, Come to me, keep company with me, and you'll learn to do nothing, to be passive, to never work again. He says. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly. Being with Jesus brings a different kind of living and a different kind of working-the kind that start with being." How many of us just sit and be with Jesus with no distractions, no interruptions? That is hard in my everyday life, but it is something that needs to be done.

"Jesus teaches me that small is a delightful place. To simply say what we hear our Father say, to move when he says move, speak when he says speak. It isn't about what we do but where we live. It isn't about what we have but who we are."

There is this section in the middle of the book where she talks about connection with community and finding our Tuesday people and connection with my soul, she shared "This simple act of making soup means I'm here, in this moment, engaging in something I love. Yesterday, making soup was a spiritual act of worship." and "No one is brave alone." Oh I so get that!

Since I have children at home, I love the section on Children and Grown-Ups
"Today, the banquet table is laid out for me in my soul. And it looks like meetings, deadlines, and few household chores on the outside, but on the inside I know that my Father is very fond of me, that he has plans I know nothing about, and this is the day he has made. He invites me to come and sit at his table and pull up a chair made for small legs. He invites me to surrender myself to his agenda and trust that he intends good things."
"Working with people, loving people, getting along with people can get really messy. I don't like messy, I like clean and predictable. I like organized, controlled, and photographic. I do not like misunderstanding, conflict, or loose ends. I am a grown-up you know. Children are endlessly messy. But the beauty is that they are generally unaware of how messy they are. They aren't embarrassed over it, they don't try to hide it, and they certainly don't let their mess get in the way of moving toward others."
"I'm thankful my Father doesn't expect me to get everything just right. I'm thankful he isn't only okay with my mess, but that he invites me to come away with him and to trust that he is with me even in the middle of it."
"You can't make a soul grown up. Our souls are young and always will be."

Also a great section on being honest and mature, ah yes!!
"The world need not meet my needs and sometimes it's good that the world not know what they are. Instead, I wear the world loosely, open-handed, light. I recognize some things are best kept between me and Jesus and I can trust him to carry my hurts, joys, and longings close his heart." Because we are not made for this world! "The decision concerning when to speak up and let others in or when to stay silent requires discernment in the presence of God." "The truth is, we can be struggling and grateful at the same time."

She shares about disappointments in her life and what she learned...
"The simple act of sitting is becoming a kind of metaphor for me, a way to practice faith when things feel hectic or when truth doesn't feel true."
"Faith doesn't mean waiting for understanding or clarity. Faith means trusting God in the midst of misunderstanding and lack of clarity."
"Daily, I still need to learn to let go of life. I don't live with my own life, but with the life of Christ within me."

This was a breath of fresh air, ways to cultivate a light heart and how boredom can lead to a light heart. Yes, boredom!
Her pastor shared.."Part of his freedom of being himself is resisting the temptation to fill every minute with productivity and allowing a little margin to be bored."
"Being bored can be super hard work. But it's the very work of boredom that reminds me that I don't, in fact, make the world go around. My agenda isn't the most important one and, many times, may not be important at all. Knowing this is a great first step toward cultivating a lightness of heart."
"A soul can't be light alone. I need people, as difficult at that sometimes can be for me. But as Christ moves within me, I'm drawn to the movement of Christ in others. Important things happen in my soul as I st on my Tuesday bench with Christ.

Vision for the future and now!
"To know that the work will be completed by the Spirit of God and not by my effort means I can sit down on the inside even as my hands are fast at work. It means I don't have to keep pace with a fast-moving world even as I am engaged in the activity of it."
"I can trust that the work the Lord begins will be completed by the power that dwells with me by his Spirit, not by the power that comes from me and my own efforts."
Zech 4:10 For whoever has despised the day of small things shall rejoice, and shall see the plump line in the hand of Zerubbabel. ~ "The littleness of starts is something to be celebrated and embraced, no despised and rejected."

Our prayer is "Simply invite God to join you where you actually are, not because he isn't already here but because inviting him reminds you that it's true." "The most important work you will do today is to receive the love he wants to give and then hand it out to others." 

They're are so many great chapters and sections through this entire book that spoke to me, a lot of highlighting was done! After each section she offers questions to make you go deeper, to help you apply it. So where to get this book and more information #itssimplytuesday
Release August 18 but you can preorder now and be sure to sign up on her blog to be notified of special freebies and possible give-aways when the book releases!!  http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Tuesday-Small-Moment-Living-Fast-Moving/dp/0800722450
Check out her blog here and read a little about where Simply Tuesday comes from  http://emilypfreeman.com/what-we-find-on-a-simple-tuesday/



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading, I hope you found some encouragement! Please feel free to leave a comment, I always love to hear from my readers.