Sunday, August 16, 2015

Mentoring Relationships!!

Mentoring relationships!
About a year ago I started asking God, to provide me with someone in my life (a mentor/friend) that will be honest with me, encourage me, and share wisdom with me. Well the Lord placed a very sweet lady on my heart, we knew each other through church and her daughters babysit for me, so I mentioned it to her and she thought it was a great idea, though she didn't realize at that moment I was asking her to be my mentor! I believe the word she was feeling was humbled, because she said well I don't have anything and my hair isn't grey, but sure!

So we started getting together weekly after Wednesday church supper. During that time, I had been feeling out of sorts, maybe out of place is more like it, I didn't feel like I belonged here. We had started the homeschool journey that year, I knew my time serving in MOM ministry was coming to an end, I have no family near, and with moving all the time, it is hard to maintain friendships for me. I struggled with trust issues with people, had past pains to deal with, my husband was gone for a while working out of state and his work schedule is always challenging as it is. I had lost my one mentor about 13 years ago, my grandma, however had one for about a year while we lived in Texas, it was the last year we lived there. So I longed for someone like that again in my life to have, a person who I know has my back, keeps me accountable and encourages me to be who God made me to be.

Having a mentor does make a difference, though our relationship has turned more into a deep friendship now. But having that someone you can trust, be REAL with, and who will tell you like it is, is life changing! God didn't put us on this earth to do life alone. He wants us to have communion with one another, share life with one another, do life together, encourage one another, and teach one another! That was exactly HIS plan for us! Not too long ago, God placed it on both our hearts to share about mentoring and we put together a mentoring program. Little did we know, a lot of the ladies were interested and we just finished having a kickoff for all our mentors and mentees this last weekend. It was so amazing to see God at work in all this, with the matching, putting together the right people at the right time and from this we have another small ministry starting to grow, which some of these ladies are a part of. God is doing amazing things! So if you don't have a mentor, ask God, He will provide. Or contact someone at your church. We will continue to help ladies find mentors and match and we look forward to coming back in six months for a follow-up celebration!!

Another way to describe what mentoring is to look at Romans 1:11-12. It is an opportunity to connect and encourage one another in our walk. Romans 1:11-12  I want to see you so I can share some special gift of the Holy Spirit with you. It will make you strong. Both of us need help. I can help make your faith strong and you can do the same for me. We need each other.

Titus 2 is for all women; all women are mentors in some way or another. So when you are disciplining one another this is the example God gives us: Titus 2:3-5  Similarly, teach the older women to live in a way that honors God. They must not slander others or be heavy drinkers. Instead, they should teach others what is good. These older women must train the younger women to love their husbands and their children, to live wisely and be pure, to work in their homes,to do good, and to be submissive to their husbands. Then they will not bring shame on the word of God.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading, I hope you found some encouragement! Please feel free to leave a comment, I always love to hear from my readers.