Saturday, December 26, 2015

Discipling Women

I just finished reading a must read book for all women, titled The Gentle Art of Disciplining Women by Dana Yeakley. Those that know me, know I am a big encourager of mom groups and mentoring. Why? Well because if it wasn't for some women in my life coming along side me and encouraging, well I just can't imagine what my life would be like. First my grandma came to me after my divorce and shared her faith with me. She is a big part of the reason I turned my life to Jesus! Oh I so miss her! I started meeting with her pastor, a year later I was saved. A few years later I was struggling again this time being a new mom away from my family, my husband and I had dealt with infertility, many moves and had some marriage issues. It was again, I turned to Jesus. I became a part of a local church. A gal I met invited me to MOPS (a mom group) and from then on out, my life changed. My faith grew deeply, God is not someone I go to when I feel like. I learned just how much I need Jesus daily and how God desires a relationship from us and He is not out to condemn us! I had christian mom friends share their faith with me, pray for me and encourage me. These ladies will never be forgotten, thank you God for those ladies! Since all that happened, we moved several times and every time, I always seek out and pray for God to provide me with a church family and encouraging women to be a part of. God is good y'all. He always provides!!

We women need each other, God didn't put us on this earth to do life alone. He made relationships, and desires for us to have relationships. First of course our relationship with Him must be priority over all. So if you are struggling, I know what it feels like I have had seasons of struggle, turn to the ONE who loves you. He will provide all you need. Ask Him to provide you with a mentor or seek out a mom/ladies Bible study group. I am thankful for the ladies that have been mentors in my life and blessed to now be on the other end of mentoring to others. Ladies, we are to take our faith and share it, "go and make disciples". We need churches that support and encourage the people to do this. It doesn't take much to make a difference in someone's life. That is why you need to read this book.

There are two parts to this book and the first part is important to understand if you are going to disciple others and it is also great for someone to read who is new to understanding who they are in Christ. We are forgiven~redeemed! We are safe in Christ, He will give us peace and joy! We have access to God through prayer, His Word and the Holy Spirit is living inside of us believers. Most important to understand, we are "becoming" all that God desires us to be, we are on a journey with Him to grow in our faith. This is what we need to understand in our own spiritual health, as we walk with Him. Part 2 of the book provides advice on being a mentor and again, scripture to walk you deeper, so you feel empowered and encouraged to understand why we are called to disciple others. Making disciples was God's idea, you see it through the way Jesus walked on earth with his disciples and after His resurrection He appointed them to "go and make disciples" (Matthew 28:19). Our role of a mentor is to point them to Jesus. We are co-laborers with God in the process. The author explains our primary purpose is to come along the side of the one we are mentoring/discipling and share life, prayer, His Word and hope the one we disciple will also disciple someone else. Let me tell you ladies you do not need to be a senior lady to be a mentor, you just need to be a step ahead of another woman in her walk with Christ. I loved how she describe what discipleship is..."Disciple-making is an art, we need the proper tools and to develop the skills of our craft." She shares how to create a life-giving atmosphere, whom do we help/called to help, what do we share, and how does one on one disciplining work.
This is not a book you read and are done, each chapter has scripture for you to look up read and study. With questions to help you and understand key truths. She also provides some ways to get started and suggestions to go through as you begin a discipling relationship. You can check out more about this book at Tyndale

Tyndale House Publishers has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading, I hope you found some encouragement! Please feel free to leave a comment, I always love to hear from my readers.