Many of my book loving friends are posting pictures or sharing lists of the books they have read this year and I love looking at their lists to see what they read! I enjoy seeing what we read in common, what they read and I haven't, and what I may want to add to my book list. I was going to get a picture of the books I read, but that would require me going through my bookshelves, and that would require time, which I would love to do for you, but I am trying to simplify and work on some projects right now that need my attention at home. I did start using Good Reads this year so it is somewhat up to date on my reading, but there are many books I have read that I have not added, like the read alouds I read with my children, and I am determining if that is worth adding or not, hmmm?? Soooo, instead what I will share with you are my top favorites reads of 2017. This year was a little hard, because there are so many good books! Some of my favorite reads are from book reviews or author launches I was a part of and others were books I choose to read. What I will tell you, and I think this is very important and something I did this year, is I planned what books I wanted to read. Of course, throughout the year I did add to that list, but it helped to keep my reading time focused and helpful. I don't just want to pick up a book and start reading it. I take some time to plan what books will be helpful and good reads for me. What I read, may not be what you need, so another reason why not to share my entire book list with you, is because I don't want you thinking because I read this, you should too. Instead, research the book by looking up the author and reading the subject, forward, and lastly some of the endorsements for the book. I also like to read some of my favorite blogging reviewers too. This helps me to see if a particular book is what I am needing to read at the time. Also, don't waste your time finishing a book if it is not resonating with you or boring you to death, because there are so many books and so little time to waste on one book. Who knows that book you put down now, may be a book you pick up later and is what you need at that time. If not give it away! There is someone out there for that book!
My favorite reads of 2017 (in no particular order):
- The Mission of Motherhood, by Sally Clarkson
- Fiercehearted: Live Fully, Love Bravely, by Holley Gerth
- Chasing Francis, by Ian Morgan Cron
- You Are What You Love: The Spiritual Power of Habit, by James Smith
- Women of the Word, by Jen Wilkin
- EveryDay With Jesus Daily Bible, devotions by Selwyn Hughes
- Deeper Waters, By Denise HUghes
- Transforming Grace, by Jerry Bridges
- Prayer, Worshiping Jesus, and The Wisdom of God, all by A.W. Tozer (I recommend all of his books, favorite author)
- Prayer, Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God, by Timothy Keller
- Beauty In The Word, by Stratford Caldecott
- New Morning Mercies by Paul Tripp
- The Insantiy of God by Nik Ripken
- Uninvited by Lysa Terkeurst
Now to share with you my top blog posts of 2017, some of these are surprising and others not:
- Books of 2016
- Rest is found...
- Spirit and Truth~book review~Prayer
- God is healer! You don't have to suffer alone...
- Weekly encouragement, snapshots, books...
- Books worth checking out
- Are you a Christian? I don't know, but here is my story....
- Adorned~Woman to woman. Older to younger. Day to day. Life to life. This is God's beautiful plan.~review
- Post Mother's Day Encouragement and Put Your Warrior Boots on! Link-ups
- What makes you enough?
- Living in Transition and why I like this new book, Fiercehearted~Live fully, Love bravely
- You Are What You Love
Now that I have shared some of 2017 with you, I need to get back to reflecting on the year in a whole and writing down some goals (good habits to make) for 2018. My process starts with looking at what do I want to change, what are some bad habits I have formed, what do I hope to be able to say at the end of the year, and what are some good habits I want to be doing. This year I am using Powersheets to help, because I am a checklist person and planner. Here is my process so far (in no particular order and subject to change):
- healthy meal planning, resulting in more energy and time
- more crafting and being artistic, resulting in using gifts and nourishing creativity
- more outside/nature, resulting in seeing the beauty of God in nature and gratitude for His creation
- intentional prayer time, resulting in seeing God in everything and growth in Spirit
- cultivate a life-giving home through homeschooling and homemaking, loving my people well, resulting in gratitude, joy, and honoring God in all I do
- simplify in many areas, resulting in more intentional focus and eliminating unnecessary distractions
- always grow in my faith, rooted deeply in faith, resulting in fruitful attitudes, changed hearts, and eternal impacts made
Flourish: create, faith, joy, hope, brave, alive in Spirit, diligent
Simplify: slow, grace, focus, choose well
Abide: believe, faith, trust, obey
Feel free to share in the comments some of your favorite reads and hopes for 2018, and any prayer requests!! I love hearing from you, sharing encoruagement, and praying for you.
Leaving you with some posts for the end of the year encouragement:
We’ve often heard the comment “Well, it is what it is. There is not much I can do to change things.” This statement is not true. As parents, we have an incredible amount of influence in determining the type of life we live, and we leave that power on the table if we allow our family’s culture to be created organically, by default. http://www.kimberlyamici.com/blog/2017/11/14/whos-creating-your-family-culture
➽📓Linking up with Coffee for Your Heart weekly link-up 💕 and
Porch Storiesand Fresh Market Friday and Messy Marriage
and Dance With Jesus and Tell His Story and Blessed But Stressed and God Sized Dreams and Break Through Homeschooling