Wednesday, January 25, 2017

God is healer! You don't have to suffer alone...

Saturday night, I was feeling tired and heart hurting for many. Then Sunday morning comes (joy) and I read this post, which was perfect timing... http://www.desiringgod.org/a…/worshiping-with-a-broken-heart 
I also am reading a book that is opening my eyes up to healing! The book is Finding Spiritual Whitespace. I've had this book for almost a year and am just now reading it, but you know God's timing is always perfect. This is a book for those of us that are or have gone through some traumatic/distressing stuff in our lives, people who struggle with anxiety, reoccurring stress or PTSD. I don't know much about PTSD, but this book is helping me to understand it. I found out in reading that PTSD often appears in your 30/40s. The author shares openly about her past sufferings, PTSD and how she overcame it, and it happened while she was writing this book.

I don't know about you, but I tend to avoid or stuff my issues, and sometimes that is wise. Let go, love, and let God do the work. However, often times that is not wise choice! "Sometimes we can't rest until we look at why our heart feels torn." ~Bonnie Gray

Here is my take away from this book: you often times can't keep flowing upstream, you need to go back, stop being strong, and deal with what you have been avoiding. It's often easier to be strong, then feel (Oh yes, I agree. I prefer safety and really that is not safe!). Maybe you are like me? I  distract myself by cleaning, organizing, or finding a project. Rather than take time to nurture my soul and let God heal. However we need to take that time to heal, as we do, we become strong because of God. Then we can be brave and share our story to help another soul out there, that needs it. So stop carrying the shame, the burden, stop the running. It's a journey towards wholeness and God wants to restore you. He will give you the peace you need. You can't try harder to live a good life, you need to heal, and let God deliver you from your pain. This is the way to discover the authentic you that God made you to be. "Awaken your heart. Sometimes in the hidden cities we build, the walls we erect to protect ourselves, need to crumble in order to discover that God can carry us-to free us for a new journey."~Bonnie Gray

If you are struggling take the time to do the journey to restoration with God. Also helpful to reach out to a trusted friend/family member, pastor, or wise Christian counselor. I am a big advocate of having a mentor in your life! Often times, little things will turn into big things if not dealt with. Don't keep stuffing, it will only end up being a burden, affecting you and your relationships with others.

I have gone through divorce, assault, loss of friendships/family members, and dealt with a lot of mistrust issues in my life. I have made bad choices and mistakes. I can honestly tell you, God is healer of all. Jesus is in the restoration business! Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the life."~John 14:6 There are so many stories in the Bible of people the Lord changed; He healed their suffering, removed their addiction, made well from sickness, forgave and changed liars, cheaters, etc...and is still doing that today! Thankfully, Jesus got me through those trying times and is still working on me in areas. I only wish I would have known the Lord sooner and didn't wait till I was in my late 20s. Sometimes we need a crisis to learn how much we need HIM. God always has a plan and reason. It comes down to trusting and obeying and a whole lot of FAITH!

This truth, this hope...Romans 5:5 And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because He has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with His love. 
It's Wednesday, mid week! Linking up with Coffee for Your Heart weekly link-up 💕 and
From Messes to Messages and #spiritualwhitespace

8 comments:

  1. Love the words of encouragement and hope found in this post Jenn. So thankful that you have allowed the Lord to restore you through all your heartbreak and pain. And that you are bringing Him glory through the messes of your life! :) I also really enjoyed reading Bonnie's book. In fact, I bought several copies and gave them out to friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to do the same, gift this book to all my sista's!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an incredible book. I used to participate in Bonnie's linkups years ago. I'm not even sure she still does them but I always loved her heart and am so excited to hear of her new book! What a gift that must be to those with similar challenges. I'm going to have to check it out, Jen! Thanks also for all that you've shared. So very true and inspiring in your own right, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a must read book! I would have loved this book years ago! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing about this book. I downloaded it a while ago but haven't got round to reading it yet. Your post encourages me to make the time to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to hear your thoughts after you read the book. :)

      Delete
  4. That sounds like a great book. I will have to add that to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and reading, I hope you found some encouragement! Please feel free to leave a comment, I always love to hear from my readers.