Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Spirit and Truth~book review~Prayer

"The successful prayer must be one without condition. We must believe that God is love and that, being love, He cannot harm us but must ever do us good. Then we must throw ourselves before Him and pray with boldness for whatever we know our good and His glory require, and the cost is no object! " ~A.W. Tozer
This book Prayer~Communion with God in Everything (collections from A.W. Tozer, complied by W.L. Seaver) I am reading has so much great wisdom and truth. I have been reading through this slowly and pondering on the readings. I like how this book is set up in short 2-4 page chapters, which makes great for reading a few a day or you can read this as more of a daily devotional book. The book includes sermons or passages from A.W. Tozer's books that relate on importance of prayer, how to pray, why to prayer and growing as a christian. After each passage is a short summary with questions to reflect upon the reading that help you apply what you read and learned to your life. This is the third book in the last year I have read on A.W. Tozer, his writings always challenge me and leave me thinking. If you are looking for some reading to help your walk as a christian (and who wouldn't?), I recommend his book. This quote from the compiler of the book "A spiritual journey awaits us as God reshapes our petitions, molds us more into the image of HIS Son, and brings closure to the matter prayed about in such a way that HIS holiness, HIS mercy, HIS love, and HIS glory are ever magnified." As a believer I want to hear from God, to know God, rejoice and bring glory to HIM, then I need to be praying. Praying isn't always easy for me, sometimes I don't have the Words, sometimes I get distracted, but as a believer I want to understand prayer and not miss this in my journey of faith.

I highlighted and wrote many notes in the book. The following passage, speaks to my heart and will be an encouragement to many mom's I know.


He wrote a passage about how to live a sacred life and to stop living a divided secular sacred life. I have been guilty of doing this, as Christians we should not separate the way we are living, it shouldn't be secular or sacred. Why do we do the things we do, is what matters, our heart-attitude, to HIS glory. For us to live this way we need the kind of prayer that involves daily communication throughout the day, quiet short prayers and deep faith. Tozer said (I added women/she to make it more personal.), "It is not what a man/woman does that determines whether his/her work is sacred or secular, it is why he/she does it. The motive is everything. Let a man/woman sanctify the Lord God in his/her heart and he/she can thereafter do no common act. All he/she does is good acceptable to God through Jesus Christ."  "Let us believe that God is in all our simple deeds and learn to find HIM there."  "Live to the glory of God, actually and determinedly, in ALL we do."  "True worshipers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth."
John 4:24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.

I looked up the he MSG version of this also “It’s who you are and the way you live that count before God. Your worship must engage your spirit in the pursuit of truth. That’s the kind of people the Father is out looking for: those who are simply and honestly themselves before him in their worship. God is sheer being itself—Spirit. Those who worship him must do it out of their very being, their spirits, their true selves, in adoration.” #spirittruth #journeyofFAITH 


My take away: Mama's let's see the cleaning, cooking, running errands, raising of children, teaching, the person in line at the store, the clerk, the friend struggling to believe, our jobs, the annoying person....whatever else the Lord places in our path, as ways to see the Lord and give HIM glory. Help me to not grumble, get anxious, worry, lose patience, but instead to worship and serve in love! I am not perfect Lord, but you are, You choose to die for me, but I didn't deserve that. Thank you Jesus for coming to earth to show us true sacrifice and love! Christ alone is our victory! 

From Moody the publishers of the book:
"Some churches now advertise courses on how to pray. How ridiculous! That is like giving a course on how to fall in love." —A. W. Tozer
Tozer understood prayer as few do: as a way of life. Now readers can share that same grand vision.
Prayer combines the best of Tozer on prayer into one volume. Tozer was captured by the great wonder of God, and he regarded prayer as the primary means of coming into His presence. But if our everyday life is filled with the barrenness of busyness and there is no serious urgency to pray, we forfeit the wonder of being conformed to the image of Christ and knowing our God more intimately—the true Christian life.
Prayer is doable. God is accessible. And Tozer provides the wisdom and encouragement to help us encounter Him daily. With commentary and reflection questions provided by compiler W.L. Seaver, Prayer takes our understanding of prayer to new depths and helps us have a life that prays.


It's Wednesday, mid week! Linking up with Coffee for Your Heart weekly link-up 💕 



  “Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255:  “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”):  Many thanks to Moody Publishers . Opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation.  I did receive a sample of the product in exchange for this review and post.

3 comments:

  1. A W Tozer is one of my favorites, right up there with Mr Lewis, Mr. Murray and Mr. Chesterton. :) I am looking this book up today and looking forward to spending time reading and soaking in these good words. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Blessings,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lewis and Chesterton too, I will have to check out Murray. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I read that years ago - maybe time to read it again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and reading, I hope you found some encouragement! Please feel free to leave a comment, I always love to hear from my readers.