Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Books worth checking out




It has been a little over a month, I have finished and started some new books on my book list! If you want to go back and see what I shared so far this year (these don't include the book reviews I take part in), I shared it here: http://ajourney4life.blogspot.com/2017/03/weekly-encouragement-books-and-snapshots.html






Here are some new recommended reads:
  • Falling Free by Shannon Martin, this is one I had just started last time, but have recently finished. Do yourself a favor and put this on your reading list. It is so good, it opened my eyes to seeing how to do ministry differently and how to trust God completely, that includes your finances and future. This couple gave up their wants and desires to do for others, reached out to those that made them uncomfortable, but yet in return, they have received so much more! I believe it is what we are called to do, but we hold back! This message of this book wrecked me in a good way! "God has not made us not merely to consume but to cultivate, steward, and bless." "If I follow Jesus, I should care about the things HE cares about, especially if it costs me something." "We can trust God with our future, hurts, finances, and kids~but do we?" "Falling into the will of God takes guts and grit we don't have...and that is precisely the point." "See the beauty of the fall." "We get to collaborate with greatness."
  • 40 Days of Decrease~A Different Kind of Hunger, A Different Kind of Fast by Alicia Britt Chloe, this book is recommended for reading during lent, but I would say you could read it anytime and gain from it. This book takes you through Jesus's journey on earth and offers up some challenging fasts, that draw you closer to God, not the type that ask you to give up something. "Revelations are often followed by trials" "We people are afraid or think it is to difficult, we want comfort, not inconvenience." 
  • Liturgy of the Ordinary~Sacred practices in everyday life, by Tish Harrison Warren. She offers lots of great wisdom for us moms from a biblical point. "To seek peace, we begin where we are." "We cannot seek peace out of your own strength." "Do not miss the greater, when work is always at hand." "Time revolves around God-not me-what He has done, what He is doing, and what He will do." "Waiting is a gift." "When we enjoy God's creation we reflect God himself." "Goodness and beauty are connected to the divine." "My habits reveal and shape what I love and what I value, whether I care to admit it or not." "Those who were winning at life saw no need for this life-disrupting Savior. The people of God are the loser, misfits, and broken." "Retrain them mind not to bolt at the first sight of boredom or buck against stillness." "Often we want to skip the boring, daily stuff to get to the thrill of an edgy faith, but it's in the dailiness of the Christian faith-the making the bed, the doing the dishes, the praying for our enemies, the reading the Bible, the quite, the small-that God's transformation takes root and grows."
  • The Broken Way by Ann Voskamp, I recently got the ebook version as it was on sale. I am a 1/3 way done, but it is perfect coming out of lent season. I will share more after I finish, but here is one reason to add it to your list "Remember the heart of God, the cross, communion, crucifixion, broken and given." Because of Jesus..."You have only one decision every day, how will you use your time?"  Give It Forward Today...So I am glad I did get it!!
  • In His Steps by Charles Sheldon, this is one my pastor mentioned one Bible study night. I just started it, basically this is where the What Would Jesus Do challenge came from. 1 Peter 2:21 ...Jesus left us an example, we should follow in His steps. Can't wait to read more...
  • Every Day With Jesus Daily Bible, so this one I started last year, it is a Bible, set up to read through a year, well I stopped last August 3, I have several reasons, though none really matter. I am excited to dig back into the this and the first Words spoken to me in the reading I picked up... Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast number, for the battle is not yours, but God's. Did what was right in the Lord's sight. Teach us to number our days carefully so that we may develop wisdom in our hearts.  ~What a reminder to not be discouraged, all is the Lord's battle, God is working it out, Jesus has already won!!! And that was proven on Easter day!!





  




















➽📓Linking up with Coffee for Your Heart weekly link-up 💕 and
From Messes to Messages  

6 comments:

  1. I love the looks of this book list. I have bookmarked this post so I can come back and decide which one to read first! I really love that you gave us quotes. This really gives insight to be able to pick which one would speak the most into our current situations in life. I wish I had enough arms and eyes to read them all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving The Broken Way and that great reminder question!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Jenn! You are an avid reader! I love the bite-sized reviews and quotes you've given us of each of these great reads. I will have to check them out and dive in like you, though time seems elusive these days for me! I guess that's true for everyone, though! No excuses here on my end, then! Thanks for your heart and enthusiasm for Christ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading is my fav 😉 Thanks for your encouragement!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and reading, I hope you found some encouragement! Please feel free to leave a comment, I always love to hear from my readers.