Sunday, April 9, 2017

Waiting and Worrying

Today is Palm Sunday, I was wondering what Jesus's disciples may have been thinking as Jesus entered into Jerusalem (Matthew 21:1-11), I am sure they were excited with all the shouts of Hosanna going on! But then Jesus starts to share bits and pieces to them of what will be happening before the week is over. I am sure at that time there was a lot of worrying going on and then the waiting of what is going to happen next! I love what happens next Sunday (Matthew 28:6), because then the disciples see what Jesus was talking about, oh what a gift!!

Waiting and worry I think most of the time are tied together. I don't know about you, but I am not the most patient person when it comes to waiting. Satan likes to spin up some crazy thoughts sometimes in my head! However, in this season of life, I am learning to rely on my Lord and to rest in His presence. To not rush the process or worry in the process. I know I am not the only one, so I thought I would share what I have come across that has been helpful:

In the book Liturgy of the Ordinary: Sacred Practices in Everyday Life, in one chapter the author reminds me that time revolves around God - not me - what HE has done, what HE is doing, and what HE will do. Oh so true, and how many times I forget that!
These words she wrote, "God is at work in us and through us as we wait. Our waiting is active and purposeful." She said it is a gift! So I need to look at waiting as a gift, instead of focusing on the wrong thing (worrying, being impatient, or trying to figure out a way to get to the result). God's Word has a lot to say about waiting and God's timing:
Habakkuk was complaining and not understanding, but look at the Words God told him: Habakkuk 2:3 “For still the vision awaits its appointed time; it hastens to the end—it will not lie. If it seems slow, wait for it; it will surely come; it will not delay.”


God knew we struggle with waiting, David cried out, but yet he trusted and we can too, here is a reminder: Psalm 27:14 “Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!”
Here is a gift, God renews us: Isaiah 40:31“But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.”
God's timing is always perfect, a gift, even if don't understand Ecclesiastes 3:11 “He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man’s heart, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end.”
Jesus died for me at the right time, HIS prophecy came true, God's plan, another gift Romans 5:6 “For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.”

For those times I worry, especially when I am waiting, I have come across some great scripture! Here is what God say's through His Word:
Philippians 4:6-7 Be anxious for nothing be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Matthew 6:8 Your Father knows what you need before you ask HIM.

John 14:1 Do not let your heart be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. (and remember Jesus was afflicted too but trusted and obeyed (Matthew 27:12)) 

This quote from A.W. Tozer~ "Peace of heart does not come from denying that there is trouble, but comes from rolling your trouble on God." I read a sermon A.W. Tozer shared on this many years ago in the book Prayer, here are some notes from it: Worry will only steal our joy, instead of giving us peace. Worry defames the character of God, because we doubt God's mercies and faithfulness. 

So when I am waiting and/or worrying, I need to remember to let God take over, instead of myself. Meditate on these verses and read the promises and truths God offers in the Bible, and there is so much more than what I shared. I also need to pray to Him and be thankful in ALL things, remember it is IN, not for the situation. This makes it possible to choose to find joy and be thankful. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. Only then can I wait without worrying or move ahead in action according to HIS will.

Good news for us believers because of JESUS don't have to worry, HE has overcome all, we can wait expectantly, patiently! One more thing, as I am looking at my Bible, let's remember Psalm 119:105 Thy Word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path. I pray for those that need this message, which is me too, share what has helped you, what are some of your go-to verses? Let's encourage one another always!


➽📓Linking up with Coffee for Your Heart weekly link-up 💕 and
From Messes to Messages




2 comments:

  1. It's so true that waiting and worrying often go together. I know that for me the times of waiting are when my imagination gets over-active, thinking of all the possibilities and all the things that could go wrong. Thanks for this encouragement to focus on God- that time revolves around him not us, and that he can use our times of waiting for good. Visiting from Coffee for your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and the encouragement!! :)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and reading, I hope you found some encouragement! Please feel free to leave a comment, I always love to hear from my readers.