Sunday, June 25, 2017

Coffee For Your Heart review

So thankful to have received Holley Gerth's Coffee For Your Heart~40 Mornings of Life-Changing Encouragement to review and share with my readers! I have been reading Holley's blog http://holleygerth.com/   for years and I have read a couple of her other books. She shares encouraging truth and I have been linking up with her blog for a while now, so I have gotten to know some of her readers and what an encouraging group of people. So be sure to check out her blog and weekly link-ups for more encouragement.

Now onto this wonderful little gem of a book! First I love the cover, I mean a picture of coffee with a heart of cream, what is not to love for a coffee-lover, right! But that is not what is important, it is the words inside the book that are. I love the reason behind the book and why she wrote it. It is so important to let God's love fill you up, not the voices in our world. We live in a loud busy world, full of messages and distractions everywhere. Oh and side note this book is small enough it fits in my purse, so it is easy to bring along with me and enjoy while I wait for my children at their activities. I did just that this week with the book. Each devotion is short and sweet, but packed with powerful truth encouragement and a couple questions for some pondering and prayer time. Each one takes 5-15 minutes depending on how much the words resonated with. So far, each one has for me. Another plus to this devotional, is there are 40 different topics, as you can see on the contents page, so you could choose which one to read, especially if you are dealing with a specific need. This is not a book you have to read in order and will make a great book to keep going back to from time to time, even after reading it all.

Last week I was struggling one day with feeling inadequate and that I was not enough (and I am not without Jesus) but, I let satan get the better of me and I know better, however, he is sneaky. Thankful for the power of Holy Spirit, God's truth, prayer, and some encouragement from Holley's book I was able to shake off satan's attack. I choose to read the chapter on Accepted and Enough.

From Accepted: "It's easy for me to believe God loves me. I can understand HE has forgiven me. But making the leap to believing HE truly has accepted me is another story. Perhaps that's because we experience so little true acceptance with each other. The preacher talks about grace but gives us a list of rules to follow. Friends promise to always be there for us, only to turn their backs when we don't meet their expectations. Families boast of unconditional love but withdraw it when we choose a different path. So like Adam and Eve in the Garden, we hide from ourselves, each other, and God." ..."Thankfully, there is Someone who wants to speak this way to our hearts every day. When Christ went to the cross, HE made it possible for us to stop hiding. All of our sin, shame, and guilt have been erased. The Lord looks at us with eyes of love. His scars bring healing and even beauty to our own."...We can drop the veils of performance and people-pleasing." ..."Here's the secret and the miracle: The acceptance we long for is already ours if only we'll dare to embrace it. You are accepted." 

From Enough:
I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.~John 15:5 "We all get disconnected from the vine at times. We feel as if we have to strive for love and acceptance. Yet God invites us to come to HIM and believe that no matter what the world may try to tell us, no matter which lies have wounded our hearts, no matter how inadequate we may feel at times, we are enough."

In what ways have you tried to earn love or acceptance? (look at the following verses)

2 Peter 1:3-11 (NLT)

By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence. And because of his glory and excellence, he has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share his divine nature and escape the world’s corruption caused by human desires.
In view of all this, make every effort to respond to God’s promises. Supplement your faith with a generous provision of moral excellence, and moral excellence with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with patient endurance, and patient endurance with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love for everyone.
The more you grow like this, the more productive and useful you will be in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But those who fail to develop in this way are shortsighted or blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their old sins.
10 So, dear brothers and sisters, work hard to prove that you really are among those God has called and chosen. Do these things, and you will never fall away. 11 Then God will give you a grand entrance into the eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.



Be sure to stop by Holley's book for more information about the release of this book and all the places to get it. It will make a great book to give!! FYI: For those who have her previous book God's Heart For You, this new book is an updated version and with a new title. Thank you Harvest House Publishers for complimenting me with a free book to share a review. #coffeeforyourheart

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading, I hope you found some encouragement! Please feel free to leave a comment, I always love to hear from my readers.