Tuesday, July 25, 2017

The Wisdom of GOD ~ review

Some of you may know A.W. Tozer is one of my favorite writers/pastors, though he was long gone from this earth before I arrived. James Snyder has compiled some of Tozer's sermons on wisdom and provided them for us in this new book published by Bethany House Publishers. When I saw this book available for review, I couldn't wait to receive it and start reading it. This book has taken me a bit of time to get through, this is not sit down and read through book, this is a book to read bits and ponder on in short bits at a time. I am thankful the chapters are short, so that I could read one or two a day, and take some time to ponder on. Trying to wrap my mind around God is not possible, if it was, He wouldn't be God, so that I am thankful for, however, we can't just go through life and not try to learn and grow in our faith. God does and will provide us wisdom, if we ask and seek. He provides it to us through His Word~the Bible, through times of prayer, and in studying scripture with our church, family, and others, such as this book. James Snyder shares in the introduction of the book, that Tozer emphasizes the Pilgrim Way of our life is a perilous way. That everything in this world is contradictory to the man or woman who is walking with God. In order to live the victorious Christian life (which we are called to do), we must live in the power of God's wisdom. This book shares with us ways to learn and embrace God's wisdom.
I looked up the reason Tozer may have used the word pilgrim, as it intrigued me, and what I found is that it is someone who has left his home and is now on a journey to a better home, a wanderer knows where he came from and where he is going, often traveling alone on their journey. A Christian similar may not know what lies between, though chose to walk with God, to follow the truth, the way of Jesus. I don't know about you but I feel that has described my faith journey somewhat. It isn't always easy, but it is a choice and has been full of many joyous and beautiful moments and I believe that to be a tiny taste of what is yet to come! So until that time, we journey here!
This book provides us where wisdom comes from (referencing scripture), the source~God, how to connect with God, what wisdom provides, how to embrace it, and use it, what happens to those that reject God and His wisdom, but most importantly what God's wisdom will provide you..."Eternal wisdom will teach you something vaster, wiser, deeper, grander, and more wonderful. It will baptize you into the light, that wonderful light. This is the breath of the power of God, the pure influence flowing from the glory of the Almighty. This wisdom is the brightness of the everlasting Light, the unspotted mirror of the power of God, and the image of His goodness." 

Often time we lose our focus, not trusting God, but instead, we focus on selves and get wrapped up in the wrongs of this world, instead of God! "We do not have to concern ourselves about what is happening out in the world, because all wisdom comes from the Lord and is with Him forever and "Who can number the sand of the sea, and the drops of rain, and the days of eternity?~Eccl 1:2" All that is happening out in our world is no challenge whatsoever to the wisdom of God. Nothing the world can do could ever in the least compromise this wisdom of God." What a reminder, when we worry, we just need God and His truth! I love the reminder of going to nature, and try to figure out how does a wild bird find its way migrating and how amazing and individual their nests are. A reminder "God poured wisdom out upon His creation."

God is Love! His Mercy Brightens. ~John Bowring
God is love! His mercy brightens
All the path in which we rove;
Bliss He wakes, and woe He lightens:
God is wisdom! God is love!

Each chapter starts with prayer and ends with a hymn. Not only did I learn more of the doctrine of wisdom, but also enjoyed the prayer connection and hymns. The author's opinion is that a good hymnbook is the best commentary on the Scriptures. Charles Wesley's commentary on the Scriptures is done in his hymns, from passages from Genesis to Malachi. Hymns were the preaching of a sermon. To which I found very interesting and now I am on the hunt for some.

Here are a few pages from the book:





I really can't begin to share everything from this book, but I do recommend it, actually any of A.W. Tozer books.  This is a great book to digest slowly, again and again! For more or where to order check out: http://bakerpublishinggroup.com/books/the-wisdom-of-god/381131

(“Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255:  “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”):  Many thanks to Bethany House Publication for providing me with this book for review. My review are my own thoughts.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading, I hope you found some encouragement! Please feel free to leave a comment, I always love to hear from my readers.