Saturday, August 19, 2017

Worship~The Reason We Were Created


When you think of the word worship, what comes to mind? Here is the short definition; “to fall down before” or “bow down before.” Worship is a state (an attitude) of spirit. Long definition can be read here: https://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-worship.html

After reading the newest book Worship~The Reason We Were Created, I see where I have failed to worship my God fully and how it is so much more than I thought. This book is a collection of insights about worship from A.W. Tozer, who is also one of my favorite theologians, as you probably have heard me mention before. As his work is always thought provoking and I have learned a lot from him. He always points everything back to God's Word. The Lord always works on me through his words.

As a believer in Jesus Christ, I desire to want to trust and obey God and to love Him with all my heart, soul, and mind as the scripture says, but often I may only do that half-heartily. I get distracted, I lose my focus, and yes can be selfish. God desires so much more than that from me or any of us who claim to be believers! God is our Creator, He has loved us since the beginning, He has chosen us through Jesus Christ to be holy people. How many of us are acting holy? To be honest, I do not always, I desire to be and fight it many times, but I also fail many times. I realize that what I need is to have a deeper relationship with God than I do some days. To do that I need to spend more time getting to know Him. The more I get to know Him the more my knowledge and love grows and isn't that the truth about with any relationship we have. To get to know our children, spouses, or friends, we need to spend time with them to know their likes and dislike. God even though He is a God of love, we often forget how much He hates sin. Even the tiniest sin is offensive to Him and we ought to remember that before going to Him in prayer or to worship Him. I think we as people sometimes take our salvation too lightly, yes we are saved by grace, but that doesn't give us a right to go on about our lives not letting God be in our daily lives. Here is the thing, He is there whether we like it or not, we may just not be following and are failing Him. We ought to be growing in our faith and letting the Holy Spirit work in us to transform us to be more Christ-like. Hey, I am guilty too of thinking well I am saved, life is good. Oh but there is so much more when we are worshiping our Father God and being obedient to Him. That feeling of joy filling you up and seeing things through His eyes that is one of the best blessings, I think of being in fellowship with God. Also hearing Him and being a part of HIStory!

Here some quotes from the book:
"We all should be willing to work for the Lord, but it is a matter of grace on God's part. I am of the opinion that we should not be concerned about working for God until we have learned the meaning and the delight of worshiping Him"
"These things happening all around us because we are not worshipers. If we truly among the worshipers we will not be spending our time with carnal or worldly religions projects."
"We are brought to God and to faith and to salvation that we might worship and adore Him. We do not come to God that we might be automatic Christians, cookie cutter Christians, Christians stamped out with a die."
"The beautiful part of worship is that it prepares you and enables you to zero in on the important things that must be done for God." 
"The tragedy that happened to Rome on the inside is the same kind of threat that can harm and endangers complacent and worldly church on the inside." 
"The Christian church was never intended to function as a current events forum or to become a religious theater." 
"We are responsible, we are accountable. How utterly tragic to be a barren fig tree, having the outward show of leaves and growth but never producing any fruit! How terrible to know that God intended us to mirror His beautiful light and to have to confess that we are shattered and useless, reflecting nothing!"
"God is not going to give you any approval or comfort until you turn from your known sin and seek His forgiveness and cleansing."
"When will they realize that if they could possibly "discover" God with the intellect, they would be equal to God?...All of the accumulated brainpower in the whole world could not reach God. But the living God, in the space of a short second of time, can reveal Himself to the willing spirit of man." 
"And if there's anything that we've got to have in the church of Christ, it is that we should get back to  the God of our fathers, back again to the holy God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, not to the god of our imagination, not to the weak god whom we push around, but to the greatest God almighty."

In this book, you will also find a chapter on all the wrong kinds of worship we do. The chapter on genuine worship and how it leaves us when we are genuinely worshiping as we should is where I want to be. "God asks us to seek His face in repentance and love, and we then find all of His gracious fullness awaiting." To truly worship as the scripture says in Matthew 22:37 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.

Of course, I highly recommend this book, but it won't be an easy read, you will be challenged in your faith, or at least I have been. It will leave you feeling convicted, but it is a good conviction. So if you are not in for that, then you will want to pass, but I say read it not just for you, but also for those around you. If we want change, we need to be willing participants first!  





Moody Publishers has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book for my personal review of this book. My thoughts and review are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading, I hope you found some encouragement! Please feel free to leave a comment, I always love to hear from my readers.